The Charleson Recreation Area is located on the Northern edge of the Town of Atikokan, offering a wide variety of recreational opportunities year round. The Charleson Recreation Area (CRA) takes its name from the original Canadian Charleson Iron Mine, as a reference to the historical mine site Charleson is surrounded by.
- Atikokan Motocross (AMX) – 2 race tracks created in loose and hard packed sand and a fenced in mini track for 50cc bikes and quads for the up and coming rider.
- Atikokan Mudslingers – Charleson Recreation Area is home to the only Mud Track in Northwestern Ontario, measuring 300 feet in length.
- Atikokan Sno-Ho Club – A member of the Ontario Federation of Snowmobile Clubs, the Atikokan Sno-Ho Club maintains over 500km of snowmobile trails, including a section of the Provincial “A” Trail.
- All Terrain Vehicle (ATV) trails – The Charleson Recreation Area has a vast trail system perfect for ATVs or UTVs, through the historic mine site.
- Steep Rock Mountain Bikers – The Charleson Recreation Area is is home to a variety of old mining roads, trails and single track mountain bike trails perfect for mountain bikers.
- Snowshoeing/Hiking – the network of trails at Charleson are perfect for hiking in the summer or snowshoeing in the winter. To view the mapped trails, please visit the interactive map and select trails/ hiking trails.
- Atikokan Equestrian – Miles of signed trails, with maps available, deliver an experience for all levels of riders from beginners to advanced.
For Equestrian visitors, the Town of Atikokan offers 15 stalls for horse camping. For more information or to book a stall, please contact the Community Services Manager.